If you’ve taken the time to research home espresso machine, you’ve probably noticed that the price tags vary dramatically from product to product. Some machines are around a hundred dollars, while other are in the thousands.
What makes these machines so different from each other to warrant such a gap in price? Well, it comes down to the features and conveniences that the machines offer, and it doesn’t necessarily correlate directly to how great the resulting coffee drink will taste.
If you’re willing to put in a bit of effort you can absolutely get great results from a more affordable espresso machine like the DeLonghi EC702. Just don’t expect it to do all of the work for you. Let’s take a look at what this machine has to offer.
You Too Can Be a Barista
Wouldn’t it be great if you could make the coffee drink of your liking without even leaving the comfort of your own home? The DeLonghi EC702 provides you with all the tools you’ll need to prepare great tasting cups of espresso, cappuccino, and latte. Impress your friends with your newfound skills and indulge in your favorite morning drink.
Ease of Use
Some espresso machines can be a bit intimidating when you first encounter the control panel. The DeLonghi EC702 on the other hand is fairly straightforward. The majority of the machine’s functionality is controlled with three buttons. It even features an automatic flow stop to prepare the appropriate volume of espresso without any guesswork.
Put On The Pressure
The amount of water pressure applied during the extraction is one of the key components to making a professional-grade cup of espresso. The DeLonghi EC702 is designed with a 15-bar pump, which is more than enough to achieve a complete and thorough extraction from your fresh coffee bean grind or pod.
Built-In Milk Frothing
When the time comes to make something a little fancier than a straight cup of espresso you can use the onboard, patented manual milk frother to make rich and delicious milk froth. With a little bit of practice you can make lattes and cappuccinos, and maybe even try your hand at a bit of cappuccino art like you see in professional coffee shops.
When you think about it cleanup is a relatively small task. The fact that we have to do it time and time again makes it seem like more of a chore than it needs to be. Every little bit of convenience helps though, and the folks at DeLonghi have designed the EC702 with a removable water reservoir and drip tray for easy cleaning. The parts are even safe for cleaning in a dishwasher.
Make What You Need
Sometimes you only need a single espresso shot. Sometimes you want a little more than that to get you started on your day. Luckily, the DeLonghi EC702 has two filters, one for a single shot of beans and one for a double shot. Plus, if you prefer to use the easy-serve espresso pods they have a filter specifically designed to accommodate them. The choice is yours.
Keep An Eye On Your Water
The DeLonghi EC702 has been designed so that you can easily see the water level in the reservoir. There’s no need to open it up to take a look at the water level, or worse to simply guess and hope there’s enough water for your next brew. When the time comes to refill the reservoir it’s easy to access and remove for loading.
Always Ready For More
Are you a frequent espresso drinker? If you’re making cup after cup of espresso the last thing you want to do is be waiting around for the machine to heat up between extractions. The rapid cappuccino system featured in the DeLonghi EC702 ensures that the machine stays at the optimum operating temperature, ready to brew your next cup.
- Brew either a single shot or a double shot of espresso using the included coffee filters. If you prefer to use pre-prepared coffee pods the EC702 includes a specially designed filter to accommodate them.
- The patented milk frother is very easy to use and can make a rich and resilient milk foam. Take your barista skills to the next level and try making beautifully prepared cappuccinos and lattes.
- The EC702 is made with high quality components including a stainless steel boiler. Rest assured that the construction is designed to withstand many years of continuous use.
- The Rapid Cappuccino System featured on the EC702 ensures that the machine will always be ready to brew your next cup once it has reached operating temperature. This means no downtime between brews.
- When you’re all done brewing for the day cleanup is simple. The water reservoir and drip tray are removable and dishwasher safe, so just treat them as normal dishes and reinstall them when you’re done.
- While this espresso machine gives you everything you need to concoct an excellent cup of espresso, much of the process is manual so it will take some time to develop your technique if you’ve never made espresso and cappuccino before.
Final Verdict: Should You Buy This Model
The DeLonghi EC702 is a well-built espresso machine with a very enticing price tag. It can be a great entry-level machine for learning the basics of what goes into concocting a delicious cup of espresso. It is a fairly manual machine however, and you should not expect to start pumping out professional quality drinks at the push of a button – it’s going to require a little bit of technique and nuance on your part.
That’s not to say that the espresso you make will be bad. Even an inexperienced barista will be able to make nice tasting cups of espresso using the EC702. It’s just important to keep in mind that there are many factors that contribute to the resulting espresso, not just extraction temperature and pressure. You’ll have to make sure you’re appropriately grinding, dosing, and tamping your beans to get the optimal brew.
For the price tag though you’ll be hard-pressed to find a machine that outperforms the DeLonghi EC702. It’s easy to use and you’ll get accustomed to the controls in no time. It’s a great way to get started in the wonderful world of espresso, just don’t expect it to do all of the work for you.