So, you’re on the hunt for a new espresso machine? If you’re looking for something a little beyond the basic options but still doesn’t break the bank too extensively, then you may want to consider the Gaggia Anima.
This Gaggia Anima will take care of virtually all the work for you when it comes to preparing a perfectly crafted cup of espresso. That’s not the only thing that this machine has going for it though, it’s packed with features that set it apart from other products in similar price ranges. Let’s take a closer look at what the Anima brings to the table.
Automate Your Espresso
With the Gaggia Anima by your side you don’t need to be a professional barista to make fantastic cup of espresso. In fact, you don’t have to do much at all. The Anima takes care of just about every step – all you have to do is make sure it’s loaded with the raw ingredients and press a few buttons. You’ll be sipping your espresso in no time.
The Anima has been designed with an interface that couldn’t be easier to use. The front of the machine beholds six buttons, each dedicated to a particular pre-programmed task. If you’re looking for a bit more customization for your next brew just use the intuitive LCD display to make your desired tweaks.
Hands-Off Bean Handling
The Anima will take care of all of your bean handling, from grinding to dosing to tamping. Just keep the hopper loaded and a fresh grind will be prepared for every cup using the built-in ceramic burr grinder. If you only have pre-ground beans that’s no problem at all, just load them into the bypass doser and you’ll be good to go.
Full Steam Ahead
Sometimes you’re in the mood for something a little more fancy than a basic cup of espresso. The Anima features a built-in manual Pannarello steam wand so that you can make luscious foam or milk froth for cappuccinos, lattes, or other coffee drinks. The wand is specially designed to siphon air into the milk for superior frothing.
Your Choice of Temperature
It’s no question that people’s tastes vary, and it’s safe to say that some people like their coffee served hotter or cooler than others. With the Anima you can choose from one of three temperature settings, so you can pick the best option to suit your particular preference. No need to put up with lukewarm coffee!
Easy To Clean
Let’s be honest, cleanup is always a bit of a nuisance. Fortunately Gaggia designed the Anima to help you along the way. Take advantage of the automated rinsing and descaling cycles for routine use, and bring the removable brew group over to the sink for more thorough cleanup and maintenance.
Learn From Your Beans
The Anima comes equipped with an adaptive grinding system that allows the machine to learn from your coffee beans and modify the grinder’s operation to ensure an improved grind for next time. Not all coffee beans are created equally, and starting with an even and appropriate sized grind is one of the keys to success when preparing a delicious cup of espresso.
If you’re the type of person who drinks coffee all day long, you’re probably not going to be turning off your espresso machine after each and every use. It takes time to heat up to operating temperature, so if you did you’d spend a lot of time waiting around for coffee. Luckily the Anima will automatically go into standby mode after a period of inactivity, saving energy while still on deck for your next cup of Joe.
- Making delicious cups of espresso is as simple as can be using the Gaggia Anima’s intuitive controls and LCD screen. Choose a preset drink or feel free to customize your own.
- The built-in Pannarello style steam wand makes it easier than ever to make well-prepared milk froth by bringing air directly to the milk. To stop the air, simply submerge the intake.
- When not in use for frothing, the steam wand will double as a hot water dispenser so that you can quickly prepare teas or dilute your espresso shot down to americano strength.
- The facade of the Anima is quite aesthetically pleasing, with a modern and sleek design and stainless front paneling. It will look great on your counter next to your other appliances.
- The water reservoir holds 60 ounces, which is plenty to accommodate frequent use with automatic cleaning cycles. You won’t have to constantly fill the machine with water.
- Gaggia filed their first patent in 1938, and they back the Anima with a 2-year warranty handled directly by Gaggia USA. Rest easy knowing that you’re in good hands.
- You get what you pay for, and while the price on this Gaggia model is enticing the machine is simply not outfitted with the top-shelf features seen on Gaggia’s flagship models.
Final Verdict: Should You Buy This Model
The Gaggia Anima is a quality product that will undoubtedly have you whipping up delicious cups of espresso and lungo even if you’re new to the game. The entire espresso making process is automated, and you can even make tweaks to fine-tune your coffee drinks to your tastes.
You will have to froth your own milk though. While the built-in Pannarello steam wand is well designed and will certainly do a good job creating froth with great texture, it’s still a manual wand and will rely on your efforts and technique to get it just right. If you’re looking for a machine that can handle this task for you as well it may be worth taking a look at one of the more highly upgraded models in the Gaggia product line.
All in all, this Gaggia model is well made and is backed by a company with a decades-long reputation. It has some great features when compared to other espresso machines in the lower end of the price spectrum. If you’re willing to put in a little effort to get a nice milk froth, then this machine can certainly be a good choice for you.