After spending more than 40 hours on research and brewing enough coffee to likely kill a large mammal (namely, one of us), we’re finally ready to share our review of the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine (Amazon) with you, our faithful readers. We’re here to bring you all of the percolated goodness that you need in order to make an informed decision about your coffee…because we know that coffee should be taken very, very seriously. Don’t let the name fool you – it makes an incredibly delicious cup of espresso.
Features of the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
When you’re considering a pricy investment into your happiness (because we all know that coffee is life), it’s important that you know about the features so that you can make an informed decision.
- Water filtration. This is actually one of our favorite features. Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine uses a Mavea water filter. Not only do you get better tasting espresso thanks to the four stages of filtration, it also reduces hard water scale build up in the machine. It’s like having an espresso machine that works to at least partially take care of itself.
- Saves energy. Who said you can’t have an amazing espresso machine and also save the environment? Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine uses less energy. It puts itself into standby if its inactive for an hour.
- Maximum flavor and aroma. If you’re looking for an espresso machine that brings incredibly pleasure to your senses, this is it. This machine uses pre-infusion to give you the most aromatic and delicious cup of espresso you’ve ever experienced.
- A self-sufficient machine. The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine is programmed to let you know when it needs maintenance.
- Compact size. Don’t let the small size fool you. You’re still going to get full-bodied espresso out of this little baby. It’s perfect for homes and offices with little counter space.
- Customize your settings. We know you want to make the perfect cup of espresso. Really, who doesn’t? The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine has adjustable settings. You can grind your beans and make your own steamed milk. You can even choose just how strong you want your espresso.
Pre-infusion? What’s That All About?
So, if you think pre-infusion sounds like a procedure that occurs at the doctor’s office, then it’s time to learn a little bit about one of the biggest trends in espresso life. Pre-infusion is a process that slowly introduces the grounds to water. But I want my espresso now! Don’t we all? Yet, pre-infusion really doesn’t take all that long and it creates a much richer, deeper, and mind-boggling taste and aroma. It’s like being five years old again and waiting to open that one special present from Santa every single morning.
Pros of the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
If you’re looking to purchase an espresso machine that gives you a lot of bang for your buck, this should certainly be a front runner. Here are some of the best pros about choosing this machine.
- It’s small. In a world full of tiny houses, the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine provides a lot of awesome espresso power in just a little bit of space.
- You get a lot of control to create the best cup of espresso. Usually, when you have a small coffee or espresso maker, you lose out on a lot of functionality – because there must be space to have all the fancy bells and whistles. The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine gives you a lot of great features despite the small size. You can control how finely ground you want your beans. You can control how strong you want it to be (strong enough to launch a rocket, thank you). You can steam your own milk.
- Easy to steam milk. Although steaming milk is a manual process, it’s still easy to do with this machine. That makes it perfect
- Long and short pull. The timer is beyond great. You can use the long pull timer at 18 seconds to create a stout shot or set it to brew larger cups.
- Warms fast. If you’re worried about time, take heart. The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine warms much faster than its larger rivals. It’s great for people who simply like to be time efficient or who are constantly running behind.
The Cons of the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
No review can truly be just that without pointing out some of the places where the espresso machine falls short.
- Small water tank. If you drink a lot of espresso or coffee or if you plan to use this in your office where multiple people are lining to drink the nectar of energy, the water tank is going to disappoint you. If you’re the only person using it, plan to refill it every other day or so. If there are several people using it, well….maybe make a rule that the person to use the last of the water should refill it.
- Difficulty grinding oily beans. We’re of the opinion that any coffee or espresso maker that brags about being able to grind beans should be able to grind whatever coffee bean that we want. Unfortunately, that’s not the way it works with the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine. Oily beans cause a problem. They clog up the grinder. So, you do have to be careful when choosing your coffee beans.
- Small hopper. Again, this is a problem for those of us who consume mass quantities of coffee. It may seem like a mild inconvenience to others, but how often do you really want to add beans to the hopper? It holds less than a half pound.
- Maintenance and descaling are a must. The good news is that the machine will tell you when it’s time to perform maintenance. The bad news? It needs a lot of care and you also have to buy the descaling fluid to keep your machine in top shape. When you’re performing maintenance and descaling, pay close attention to the instructions.
So, should you fork over money on the Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine? If you’re looking for a compact machine and you don’t need to make multiple cups of espresso every day, then it may indeed be the machine for you. It fits well into smaller kitchens and offices and uses little energy. It also makes an amazing cup of espresso.
However, if the thought of being careful about the beans you use, refilling the tank quite a bit, and paying close attention to maintenance seems like too much work for you, then this isn’t the machine for you. The Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine does have its quirks and its faults that may not make it worth the investment.