|1||Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige Espresso Machine|
|10||View on Amazon.com|
|2||Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee and Espresso Machine |
|9.8||View on Amazon.com|
|3||Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine|
|9.7||View on Amazon.com|
|4||Nuova Simonelli Musica Pour Over Tank Espresso Machine|
|9.6||View on Amazon.com|
|5||Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine semi-automactic Espresso Machine|
|9.5||View on Amazon.com|
|6||DeLonghi ESAM5500B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine|
|9.4||View on Amazon.com|
|7||DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso Machine|
|9.3||View on Amazon.com|
|8||Delonghi EC680M DEDICA 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine|
|9.0||View on Amazon.com|
Italy is synonymous with espresso coffee and exceptional espresso machines. Espresso and espresso machines were invented in Italy, and Italians have been producing espresso drinks for more than 100 years. Angelo Moribondo first invented the espresso machine in Turin, Italy in 1884, and Luigi Bezzera patented an improved design in Milan, Italy in 1903.
If you have had the opportunity to visit Italy, you know that nothing more exemplifies the Italian culture and society than enjoying a fine espresso drink in a café or on the piazza.
We fondly recall visiting the Italian sections of San Francisco, Boston, and other American cities and enjoying fine espresso long before Starbucks came to the scene. When we think of purchasing an excellent espresso machine, the best Italian espresso machines are a great starting point to start our hunt.
Best Italian espresso machine brands
Super-automatic espresso machines automate every step of the espresso making process. They grind the coffee beans and automate all the other steps of producing fine espresso through the pressurized pouring.
Semi-automatic espresso machines are more “traditional”—these machines feature a boiler, portafilter and a manually activated pump to perform the extraction. They generally allow more customization of the espresso making process but do not include a grinder.
- DeLonghi offers a broad range of popular espresso machines, including our best seller!
- Gaggia is one of the best-known Italian brands producing high-end, high-quality espresso machines.
- Nuova Simonelli has been making espresso machines since 1936.
- Rancilio has been an espresso machine manufacturer since 1927. The company was founded by Roberto Rancilio in Parabiago, Italy.
Here are our top-rated Italian espresso machines
Best overall for home: Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige Espresso Machine
After we weighed all the pros and cons, this state of art Gaggia Velasca Prestige has emerged as the winner. Yes, this RI8263/47 is our best overall Italian espresso machine.
Why we love it?
- 10 separate grind settings
- Programmable brewing options including Espresso, Espresso Lungo, cappuccino, or milk froth.
- Three temperature settings – it will always have the perfect temperature for you.
- Fully removable milk carafe.
- A ceramic burr grinder.
- It makes both coffee and espresso.
- Super well-built and durable.
- A full two-year warranty by Gaggia.
Read our full review of Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige espresso machine.
Runner-up for home: Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee and Espresso Machine
This Gaggia Anima Prestige is a super-automatic espresso machine. This means it takes care of grinding, tamping, extraction, and even frothing. This is for someone who wants convenience of brewing a perfect espresso drink without being a barista. It you want to customize and precise control of every brewing parameters, this model is not for you.
Why we love it?
- The Gaggia Anima Prestige features six different coffee drinks. Just push a button and you are all set.
- Built-in ceramic burr grinder with Prestige’s adaptive system. No stress to decide on what grind size to use.
- It can automatically brew with whole bean or pre-ground beans.
- Automatic milk frothing– automatically prepare and dispense it to your cup! Cappuccino time!
- Three temperature settings – you always get the perfect temperature for your preference.
- Easy access of the hopper and the reservoir.
Read our full review of Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee and Espresso Machine.
Best-value: Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine
The Gaggia Brera offers many great features in a compact body. It is our best-value Italian espresso machines on our power ranking. It has a ceramic burr grinder that allows you to control how finely ground you want your beans, and how strong you want it.
Why we love it?
- Affordable with premium features.
- Long and short pull. You can use the long pull timer at 18 seconds to create a stout shot or set it to brew larger cups.
- Options for cup Height – 3.25” to 4.5”.
- Manual but easy to steam milk.
- Quick steam. This Gaggia has fast heat up, brewing and steaming time rivaling the more expensive models.
- Ceramic burr grinder with five settings – fine to course.
- If you want to use pre-ground coffee, no problem. It has an integrated bypass doser.
- Gaggia’s pre-infusion for maximum flavor and aroma extraction.
Read our full review of Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine.
Best commercial use: Nuova Simonelli Musica Pour Over Tank
When you are operating a coffee house, the most important thing is to deliver a perfect cup of espresso to your customer every time.
How do you create perfect cup every time? You want the best espresso machine you can afford, you want your barista to deliver a consistent cup every time. Yes, this Nuova Simonelli Musica enables production of espressos and cappuccinos with minimum employee training. With its professional portafilter and push pull steaming, it is ergonomic for your barista.
Why we love it?
- Features 1 cup, 2 cup, and continuous brew functions.
- It uses the same acclaimed boiler temperature technology as their premium levels of commercial espresso machines.
- Compact size. More available space for your barista.
- The automatic dosing, thermo compensated group and steaming system are derived from larger, professional machines.
- A sound proof pump and insulated boiler with exchanger.
- Efficient. With its vacuum breaker valve design, you can start up the Musica from room temperature without opening the steam valve!
- Pulls 10-12 shots from a single tank of water.
- Durable. All metal body construction.
- Energy and money saving. The boiler has a half-inch insulation to save energy.
Best semi-automatic: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine with Iron Frame and Stainless Steel Side Panels
This Rancilio has an iron frame and stainless steel side panels, and a commercial grade group head. We just love this old-school durable construction – it is built to last!
Why we love it?
- It is a proven traditional style semi-automatic espresso machine.
- Commercial grade construction with home-use sensibility.
- Large volume capacity of 12 oz.
- Commercial grade steaming power.
- Super-fast recovery time between shots.
- Convenience. You can fill the reservoir from the top anytime.
- A stainless steel articulating wand is included.
Most versatile: Delonghi ESAM5500B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine with Cappuccino Function
DeLonghi name this ESAM5500B Perfecta for a great reason – it is indeed perfect to deliver you the best espresso drink. You will be the barista to easily prepare cappuccino or latte with a one-touch hot mike system.
Why we love it?
- Easy to use. From setting up start time to temperature to coffee strength, it’s an intuitive operation using the simple-to-understand digital control.
- Professional-grade burr grinder and bypass doser. This low-pitch feature will give you consistent grinds every time. It grinds beans instantly with direct-to-brew function.
- Double boiler. Fast and concurrent operations for your shot and steam milk. Zero wait time to make espresso and cappuccino.
- Hot Water. You can dispense hot water straight from the boiler! Yes, you can make tea or hot chocolate, if you do desire, using this readily available hot water.
- Cups Warming feature. You will never have a cold cup with this Perfecta.
Read our full review of Delonghi ESAM5500B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine.
Best Seller: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine
This Magnifica has been our best-sellers three years in a row. It’s attractive and compact, makes superb espresso drinks and coffee, easy to operate and maintain, quality and durable.
Why we love it?
- Makes espresso, cappuccino, latte and coffee
- Customizable and programmable Espresso Drinks including cappuccino.
- Memory customization. This Magnifica “remembers” the strength of your espresso to your preferred size beverage.
- Professional burr grinder with 13 adjustable grind settings
- Bean to brew in simple super-automatic way
- Average heat-up time = 75 sec
- Water Tank Capacity = 60 oz.
- Removable Water Tank and Bean Container
- Magnifica is the only super-automatic machine that allows you to fill the water tank and empty the coffee grounds without moving the machine.
- Removable double boiler. Easy to clean stainless steel material.
- Manual steam wand – you are in charge of the exact amount of steam to milk
- Easy to control rotary control
- All of the controls are at the front of the machine.
Read our full review of DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine.
Best affordability for home: Delonghi EC680M DEDICA 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine
When it comes to balancing of functionality and a limited budget, this DeLonghi EC680M is our best affordability espresso machine for home.
Why we love it?
- Budget friendly – under $200!
- You get 15-bar pressure – that translate to full flavor.
- You can make shots of espresso to cappuccinos to lattes.
- Slender and sleek footprint.
- Accommodates both smaller and larger cups.
- Flexibility – it includes filters to load the appropriate amount of beans for one or two shots of espresso.
- And, it comes with a filter to accommodate espresso pods.
Read our full review of Delonghi EC680M DEDICA 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine.
What to look for in an espresso machine:
It’s important to select an espresso machine with the features you need and want. Key features include:
- Super-automatic vs. Semi-automatic: how automatic vs. manual is the grinding/brewing/dispensing process?
- Size: the size (counter space and height) of the machine compared to your counter space and under counter height limits.
- Startup time: How long to produce the first cup of coffee?
- Does it include a grinder; do you need a grinder?
- Boiler system: Single vs. dual boiler vs. Heat Exchanger (select a dual boiler if you need to steam milk and pull shots at the same time, single boiler for price and size, or HX if you mostly make milk drinks.
- Components, features, and options: Does the machine have the features you want and is the user interface easy to use? Does it have a steam wand? Do you prefer to turn dials or enter information digitally?
- Consistency: will the machine produce consistent and reproduceable results? Can you do custom programming?
- Do you want one-button ease of use? Select a super-automatic machine. Do you want maximum hands-on control? Select a semi-automatic machine.
- Grinder: You will need to grind your coffee beans. Super automatic espresso machines include a burr grinder which grinds beans and dispenses the ground coffee directly into the brewing chamber. Semi-automatic machines typically do not include a grinder, so you will need access to a separate high-quality grinder.
Final Verdict: Which is the Best Italian Espresso Machine?
It’s hard to choose just 10 best Italian espresso machines. We love all 33 Italian machines featured on our site. We are confident that you will enjoy making a delightful cup of espresso from any of these fine Italian espresso machines.
Here’s the recap:
- Best overall for home: Gaggia RI8263/47 Velasca Prestige Espresso Machine (View on Amazon)
- Runner-up for home: Gaggia Anima Prestige Automatic Coffee and Espresso Machine (View on Amazon)
- Best-value: Gaggia Brera Super Automatic Espresso Machine (View on Amazon)
- Best commercial use: Nuova Simonelli Musica Pour Over Tank (View on Amazon)
- Best semi-automatic: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine with Iron Frame and Stainless Steel Side Panels (View on Amazon)
- Most versatile: Delonghi ESAM5500B Perfecta Digital Super Automatic Espresso Machine with Cappuccino Function (View on Amazon)
- Best Seller: DeLonghi ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Automatic Espresso Coffee Machine (View on Amazon)
- Best affordability for home: Delonghi EC680M DEDICA 15-Bar Pump Espresso Machine (View on Amazon)