While it is always a great experience to walk into your favorite coffee house and order your great exotic drink, it can be even more fun to make those exotic drinks yourself for the enjoyment of you and your friends (and save a lot of money!). Here we present a few recipes for exotic espresso drinks that you can make at home with your espresso machine.
The key to making all of these drinks is the ability to make superior espresso coffee. You will also appreciate the ability to steam your drinks, to froth your milk, and add crema to your beverage. You will find it well worth your time and money to invest in an espresso machine (if you don’t already have one).
It’s easier than you think to create or reproduce outstanding specialty drink recipes when you start with the right equipment.
Caramel Macchiato Recipe
Better than Starbucks for a fraction of the price! You can purchase your caramel syrup or make your own; it’s pretty easy.Ingredients:
- 14 reduced fat or whole milk
- 2 tbsp. vanilla syrup
- 2 espresso
- Caramel sauce, to drizzle
- Prepare the espresso using your espresso machine and reserve, as it goes in last to “mark” the drink.
- Steam or otherwise warm your milk, and then froth the milk with milk frother. If you don’t have milk frother, just use a whisk aggressively to whisk the milk until foam forms.
- Add milk and vanilla to your cup.
- Then add the espresso.
- Finally, drizzle with Caramel Syrup and enjoy!
You can buy caramel syrup at many upscale stores, or, one of our favorites is Ghirardelli Caramel Syrup (View on Amazon).
Lastly, you make your own caramel syrup!
- Heat 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and comes to a boil. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture turns golden amber in color.
- Remove from heat and add 1 cup water. Return to heat and continue stirring until mixture becomes liquid. Let cool completely before using.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Available any time of year!
Pumpkin spice lattes have become one of the iconic signals that the holidays are near. But, of course, you can enjoy this delicious drink year-round with your espresso machine!Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin purée
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2%, or any unsweetened nondairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 shots espresso (or 1 cup freshly brewed coffee)
- Extra milk (optional)
- Whisk together pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, milk, syrup, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix constantly until the mixture starts to steam.
- Remove from heat and pour mixture into a blender. Cover, hold the lid on tightly (yes, “Tightly”-you don’t want the hot mixture spewing out), and blend until frothy (typically about 15 seconds).
- Make the espresso or coffee. You can make extra milk foam to top your latte by pouring a few tablespoons of milk into a glass jar or other shaker with a lid while coffee is brewing. Tightly seal the lid and shake for 30-60 seconds. Remove lid and place jar in microwave for 30 seconds.
- Divide coffee and milk mixture between two mugs. Top with extra milk foam (if using) and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Note: you may buy pumpkin pie spice at almost any market or make it yourself.Pumpkin Pie Spice Ingredients:
- teaspoons ground cinnamon
- teaspoons ground ginger
- teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Mix and store tightly sealed.
- Voila! You have your own, homemade pumpkin spice latte!
Iced Cinnamon Almond Milk Macchiato Recipe
Want to make a great iced espresso drink? Try a homemade iced cinnamon almond milk macchiato!Ingredients
- caramel drizzle
- Almond milk (4 oz or more, as desired)
- Shot of espresso
- Dash of Cinnamon
- Caramel syrup drizzled on top
- Drizzle caramel in a traditional cup, covering bottom and decorative drizzle around the sides.
- Add ice.
- Add Almond Milk
- Add dash of cinnamon and espresso.
- Top with Caramel syrup drizzle.
We’re sure you will find this Iced Cinnamon Almond Milk Macchiato delicious and refreshing when you want a cold espresso drink.